Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios says it is selfish of the ATP Tour for trying to make the US Open inspite of the current pandemic and protests in the United States in a tweet on Thursday.

The 25 year old Kyrgios, who is known for his straight talk, posted a tweet on Thursday, in which he said, "The ATP is trying to make the US Open go ahead. Selfish with everything going on at the moment. Obviously Covid, but also with the riots, together we need to overcome these challenges before tennis returns in my opinion."

Nick Kyrgios on the ATP trying to make the US Open go ahead

Kyrgios posted another tweet in which he asked his followers whether the US Open should go ahead, tagging the Big Three in men's tennis – Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. All three of them are also on the ATP Players Council.

Kyrgios had also played a big role in trying to get the tennis world to contribute to the bushfire crisis in Australia at the start of the season and has worked on several other initiatives during the current pandemic to help others.

Currently, all tennis tournaments have been cancelled since mid-March and the ATP & WTA are attempting to see if the tour could resume in early August. A decision on the same is expected by mid-June. If the US Open does go ahead as per schedule, it will take place at the end of August in New York.

Nick Kyrgios is currently ranked No. 40 in the world. He has won six ATP titles and has reached eight ATP finals, including the 2017 Cincinnati Masters in his career so far. He has reached the quarterfinals of the 2014 Wimbledon Championships—upsetting then world no. 1 Rafael Nadal on the way —and the quarterfinals of the 2015 Australian Open. Kyrgios is only the third player, after Dominik Hrbaty and fellow Australian Lleyton Hewitt, to have beaten Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, and Novak Djokovic the first time he played each of them. He has been ranked as high as No. 13 in the world in the past  As a junior, Kyrgios won the boys' singles event at the 2013 Australian Open and the boys' doubles event at the 2013 Wimbledon Championships. 



Source link news